Sunday, February 3, 2013

See A Penny - So and Mi Activity

Earlier, I posted a So and Mi lesson bundle: here.  I've created another So and Mi activity.  The idea came to me as I was brainstorming President's Day activities and wishing I had a cool assignment to send home for students to practice.

So, I came up with a So and Mi song set to the old saying, "See a penny, pick it up, and all day you'll have good luck."

I created a Power Point to use with this.  Here's one of the final slides:

After using the Power Point, I printed out the following worksheet (in color, on card stock, and laminated) for the students to use.  Each student needs a small baggie of 4 pennies.  We did some dictations both sung (So So Mi Mi) and played on the recorder (G G E E) and the students dictated this with their pennies.

I'm thinking about hot-gluing some pennies to the worksheet on cardstock and using this as a cute bulletin board.

I'm also going to send home a black and white version (see below) for students to practice with.

You can download the Power Point and worksheet here:
See A Penny

2 comments:

  1. Very cute!!! You could also use it with the "Who Has a Penny?" singing game! If you don't know that one, it's "Who has the penny?" (s-m-m-s-m) echoed by "I have the penny" (s-m-m-s-m); "Who has the pin?" (s-m-m-d) echoed by "I have the pin?" (s-m-m-d). Two students are given the penny and the pin while everyone is closing their eyes and has their hands out. Then the class sings the first phrase while the two students who have the penny and pin sing the "I have" parts. It's great for solo singing and vocal recognition. I hope that made sense! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it...and the kids are learning about money too...hope you market it as "math" too!!!

    ReplyDelete